Saturday, July 11, 2009

Summer Camp Juggling

I just finished teaching a five-day juggling course. It ended yesterday. It went like this:

Every summer, the West Chester Friends School offers several weeks of day-camp activities -- for their year 'round students and other kids from the neighborhood. The Camp provides an opportunity for the students to stay connected over the summer with their fellow students and their teachers, who form the core of the Camp adult staff.

And many of you know that the School gym is where our just-for-fun juggling group, the Turks Head Jugglers, practice twice a week. At no charge. And some of you know that I'm a member of the Board of the School. So with all that interconnectivity, it's made perfect sense that I should conduct a juggling course for the Day Camp.

I love to do this, in part because it gives me a chance to bring out all my juggling props for the kids to work with: scarves, balls, rings, clubs, Chinese yo-yo's, flower sticks, spinning plates, contact balls, poi swings, chatter rings, and... oh, I'm sure I've forgotten two or three things...

Anyway, last year, my group was comprised of five boys, each of whom had a rather different agenda for being there -- and it took quite a good deal of energy on my part to keep everyone focused and having fun. It was gratifying and I enjoyed it, but it was tiring. And that was last year, when I was in good physical shape.

This year, I committed in the spring to doing the same course, but started to get serious reservations as my cancer therapies started to kick in: would I have the energy? would it be foolish to handle props with a bunch of kids while my immune system is so compromised?

I knew I could simply call Leslie (the Camp Director) at the School and tell her please to cancel the course. There would be some disappointment and lost revenue to the School, but no recriminations and a complete understanding. If you feel you can't or shouldn't, well, that's what you feel. That's the way things work at West Chester Friends School.

But I really really wanted to do this. Not just because I love to watch kids learn to juggle. Not just because I love to help them get that next trick. Not just because I feel a deep sense of gratitude to the School for sponsoring the Turks Heads. Not just because I wanted to help the School's revenue stream. Not just because the kids I would work with are some of the most wonderful kids I've ever met.

All of that to be sure, but it's come to me lately that my teaching juggling feels like a true Calling. And by doing the course, I would underline and reinforce a vital part of my path to recovery: I am more than my disease. And I will not allow the disease to bring me to a halt. And I plan to be here long after my disease has left.

Leslie found two teenagers -- both of whom had been students at the School and both of whom juggled pretty well -- to act as assistants for the course. And, since I had to bail out of several sessions during the week, this proved to be a vitally important part of the course's success.

And the class turned out to be five perfectly charming girls. Each of whom was amazingly self-confident and self-directed, patient, helpful, enthusiastic, and co-operative. (Interesting occurrence: When initially handing out juggling scarves, I asked them: "Okay, who wants a pink scarf?" and none of them wanted one! None of them! Special girls? I guess so!)

In short, I could not have asked for a better situation. Leslie provided the adult supervision to augment the two teenagers' work and everything fell into line.

From Monday on, we had aimed at doing a brief show for our fellow campers and parents on Friday. And by Friday, each of the girls had identified specific props that they wanted to use. As a group, we laid out how we wanted the show to go-- who would use which props and what tricks they would demonstrate; what the performance order would look like; what they would say to introduce themselves and their performances; and yes, they would bow to the audience when they were done.

And everything went beautifully on Friday afternoon. Leslie and I just sat against the wall and watched as the girls went "on-stage," one after the next, and did a lovely job. Each of the two teenage assistants had a support role in making the girls look good, and they did just fine as well. Some of the tricks, it might be said, were not all that impressive to the audience, but a number of tricks elicited genuine "Wow!" from their fellow campers and parents.

It was a wonderful moment.

I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

10 comments:

  1. Go Randy, Go!

    zinc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Randy

    So delighted that you were able to do this juggling week with the children!!! How providential that it was such an enthusiastic
    and focused group!

    You need to know that in the fifth week of my rad/chemo, the treatment ( not the disease) brought me to a halt. It was not a question of my allowing it. Mind over matter only goes so far. So if this happens to you, be peaceful with yourself.

    You're right: you are not the disease --- and you will eventually regain all your physical strength. But not just yet.

    Courage!

    Love and prayers

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Randy,

    I'm so glad to read this account of your juggling week. I can count on my thumbs, at most, the people I have known who might have risen to such a focused and calling-spurred week while also being right in the thick of chemo and radiation therapy. I like the way it was a symphony of give and take that allowed it all to happen. In the end, it seems all were served -- the students who learned and performed, the assistants who helped it happen, and you the called juggler, not to mention all of us who take inspiration from your example. My guess is that even the nurses who treat you take inspiration from your example.

    That said, may I second Anne's kind reminder: Please do be peaceful and forgiving with yourself when your treatment requires a halt. The halt is temporary. Whatever you need is what you need.

    It was a joy and a privilege to visit with you and Deb on your porch today. Your love for each other, and your honest expression of perplexity, fear, hope, joy and the whole damn thing, are more of a load than anyone ever expects to carry at once -- and yet there you both are, carrying it...with grace, yet. And with Grace -- clearly, there is real Grace there in your home with you.

    NOTE TO MY FELLOW READERS: If you live within visiting range, do ask Randy and Deb for an hour or so on their porch. The reality of this journey is far more real from up close, and the journey is clearly a relentless one that takes great nurture from live fellowship. Love heals.

    With gratitude and hugs,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Oops - I just noticed that my comment above includes a sentence that makes it sound like your love for each other is part of the load you're carrying...and you know that's not what I meant, right? Actually that whole sentence doesn't make any sense now that I reread it.

    I meant: Your love for each other, and your honest expression of perplexity, fear, hope, joy and the whole damn thing, were a privilege to be near. And the load you are carrying is greater than anyone ever expects to carry at once -- and yet you are carrying it with grace, and with Grace.

    (There, that's better. Does this blog offer commenters a post-posting edit function?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,

    When I read your comment, I understood exactly what your meant...I'll bet the others that read it did too:) Yeah...I'd like the post-posting edit function too!

    Diane

    Randy,

    I'm thrilled you were able to carry out your juggling camp week...for you and for all involved!... and it does sound like very one was served as Anne (I think) said above. I wish I did live closer and could do a visit with you and Deb on the porch...maybe soon I will be able to visit and I won't stay long or intrude in any way. Till then, know that many of us from the school and our class are with you.

    I am continually amazed and touched by your journey and how you are sharing it with us here in writing. Knowing you as I do, I'm sure there are those with whom you are sharing this even more "up close and personal" and not only Deb.

    Peace, Love, Healing and Joy...yeah Joy...That's what the camp sounded so much like to me. I'm so happy for you that you remember that even though the physical stuff right now is so present...you are so much more than all of that...so very much more! Its such a good lesson and reminder for me, too.

    Love and Light and Sweetness,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. heck, yeah! when you get all this radio-chemo BS behind you, i think you should take it up full-time!

    cheers, john

    ReplyDelete
  7. Randy,

    As someone who was also in the audience for the camp juggling show, I can vouch to your readers that it WAS a wonderful performance by the five girls. The pride in their accomplishments and self-confidence in their skills came shining through! Thank you for sharing your gifts with them (and with all of us).

    It was great to see you in the gym on Friday -- clearly the proud tutor sitting in the wings. Our conversation was understandably short, but please know that we continue to hold you and Deb in the Light.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Randy,

    Your courage, fortitude and determination made the juggling camp the success that it was. I'm glad I could provide help to make it go forward, but it was clearly your amazing spirit that was the driving force behind it. Thank you for all you did, in the face of adversity, to honor our camp with your talents.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an inspiration you are! Can you imagine the things your juggling students learned from you besides juggling? Perseverance, passion, willingness to share--all things that can only be learned through observation.

    I must admit, I was quite surprised to read that you taught a juggling class this week. Couldn't have been more surprised unless you told me you were taking kids on a paleo dig this week...

    Holding you and Deb in the Light,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your commitment to teach kids how to juggle is inspiring. It seems like the kids in Westchester really will learn lots of great things at camp. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete