Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Change in Plans...

Deb and I drove to the chemotherapy center this morning and, in preparation for the chemo session, I had some blood tests done -- all of which had been strictly routine up until today.

But this morning, my white blood cell measurement was one point two or thereabouts. Before my first chemo session, that measurement had been six point something-or-other. In any case, it was much too low to allow me to do the chemo session.

My chemo doc explained that the effect of the Cisplatin regimen was cumulative, and that we were close to the "nadir" (i.e., low point) of blood count measurements residual from the second session. And that the white blood cell count before the second session was acceptable, but still much lower than the initial six point something.

Bottom line: he would not proceed with the chemotherapy session. And, since we were so close to the end of the radiation therapy sessions, he was simply going to cancel the third chemo session altogether. He reminded us that, at the start of the treatment weeks ago, he had told us that there would be "two or three chemotherapy sessions." I don't recall that, but hey.

He said, "If we proceeded with the back-to-back chemo sessions the way we had planned -- given your extremely low white blood cell count, I could guarantee you a week's stay in the hospital trying to recover." [What he's alluding to is the fact that chemo sessions destroy many types of fast-growing cells in the body, including cancer cells, of course, but also white blood cells. So another chemo session at this time would drive the white blood cell count down dangerously low.] He mentioned that is absolutely conceivable that a poorly thought-through chemo regimen could kill the patient. And that's why they do these blood tests in the first place.

As it was, he told us to take my temperature twice a day and report any signs of fever or chills immediately. And stay away from crowds. And rest a whole bunch.

(But, come to think of it, this low white blood cell count may explain the serious fatigue -- the wet cardboard box thing -- that I blogged recently.)

So we took this information to the radiation therapy doc, who decided to postpone any radiation treatments until my white blood cell count improved. Between the skin cracks and blisters now showing up on my neck -- a direct result of the radiation treatment -- and the ulcer under my tongue, there were numerous vectors where infection could invade my body and I do not currently have enough white blood cells to protect me from serious illness.

So rather than having two carefully timed treatments today -- which was the "one-two punch" plan I'd been looking forward to -- we got bupkus.

Now, assuming that the previous treatments have been fully effective and there are no cancer cells remaining in my body, this is kind of good news. It allows my white blood cell count to begin returning to normal weeks earlier than it would if I had another chemo session and it provides a break for my tongue to do some healing before we finish up the radiation treatments. Which might start up again on Thursday or next Monday or who-knows-when. It all depends on the blood count. And the count necessary for radiation to resume is probably lower than the count for another chemo session.

Still, it's disappointing as well. I want to clobber this cancer stuff and then clobber it again. And no one knows if the previous treatments have been thoroughly effective. So I was really looking forward to the double whammy that today was scheduled to be.

If there is a serious postponement in the radiation, would the chemo doc consider reinstating the third session? Dunno.

I will get scans (PET? CT? MRI? dunno that either...) in a month or so to see if anything is still there and growing. More later...

6 comments:

  1. MAN. I so feel your disappointment...and your confusion. Yes, it COULD actually be good news. But oh, the not knowing....

    And here we were dreaming of welcome back cheese cake meals.....which will still happen, but I guess first you have this unscheduled adjustment to make and questions to mull through.

    I need to do research. Stop me if you don't want me to report back.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Randy,

    Unpredictability! WOW. So I guess you are in a holding pattern right now, allowing your body to heal and getting that white count up. Hopefully, they will do a PET scan (and you can ask for this) soon to see that all is well. It sounds like your body needs to rest and recover. We are all still with you and Deb! My intention for you is not only for your highest healing, but also for something more concrete...a healthy increase in your white blood count and zero cancer cells!

    Remember about meeting this unpredictability with an open heart and energetically. It might feel like a set back, but it may not be, as you basically said. Still, it sucks that you didn't get your "double whammy" today. I'm so removed from the situation and I was so ready for tomorrow and the last of your chemo. I can only imagine how you and Deb must feel.
    Still Praying and still loving you both!

    Love and Light,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Randy - I agree with Lisa and Diane - such a disappointment, but it happens to many - the low white count. Mine went low, but not so low the treatments had to be postponed... but low enough, and for a time after the treatments as well, that I was advised to stay clear of any kind of groups of people.
    It does give your burned neck a chance to heal a bit. You need to know that the effects of radiation go on for a good while after the treatments end. The cisplatin will be out of your system long before the radiation, and its effect on your tissues. So keep taking each day as it comes... you WILL get better, but not as soon as you wish. It was at least a month after treatments ended before I was able to go out for dinner ( before I dared to go further than five feet away from the bathroom!) and my treatments obviously weren't affecting my throat! I think it would be realistic to plan for pizza for Halloween....

    Courage!

    Love and prayers,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Randy - From my experience in the clinics, this is pretty normal, particularly towards the end of treatment. You can sort of think of these observable signs (e.g., tongue and skin issues, low counts)as evidence that the chemo and radiation are certainly doing something to your body and to the cancer cells (e.g., attacking them!)which is the overall goal of treatment anyway. Perhaps you are already getting the one-two punch that you had hoped for yesterday...

    Much love to you and Deb,
    Donna P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy -

    I have a friend who is currently undergoing chemotherapy as well and the same thing happened to her. Low white blood count. She got a blood transfusion to boost the count. Is that a possibility for you?

    love
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW - I like Donna P's comment, and believe it is very likely that you are despite the schedule change, already experiencing the one-two punch. We can only schedule and control so much until the body says enough! but without a doubt the cancer is getting hit really really hard and the tumor is very likely gone. You're going to be OK. I believe this is as Emily said, part of the arc that you are being forced to endure. I also really like Anne's comment about the radiation's effects continuing after treatment has been stopped for a while. It's time for a break.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete