Friday, July 3, 2009

Equipment Maintenance

The other day, I noticed that the pads on top of my crutches -- the ones that fit in my armpits when I use them -- were cracking rather badly with age.

So today, I got some new ones and put them in place. They look so much better -- and may well offer some additional cushioning when in use.

Y'know, "walking" with crutches can be a rather elegant form of transportation. A little remindful of cross-country skiing. On a flat, dependable surface, you can "throw" the crutch tips out a considerable distance; get a good, firm plant ; pick your weight up on the handles; and swing your feet out maybe five feet or so from their initial placement (I haven't actually measured the distance. Yet.). And moving easily across a crowded floor or moving up or down staircases takes careful planning but is a joy when it works well. Yeah.

Hmmm...

Does anyone out there get sentimental about his/her crutches?

3 comments:

  1. You know Randy, I can really feel the joy of crutches. I always wanted to have some when I was a kid. To the point that I considered throwing myself down stairs to break a leg. (Kids, huh?!) But you describe it perfectly - there is a rhythm to the movement that is a lot like dancing and making music...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, now that you mention it, I do still love my crutches -- which are leaning patiently, still set for my height, over in the corner of the basement, where I can see them every time I stroll by with an armload of laundry. Twenty eight years ago, right after college, they freed me from what might have become an isolated, homebound year and allowed me to enjoy full employment and participation in all kinds of activities. And yes, that swinging, one-legged, two-crutched gait you can get into when your really rolling -- it was pretty graceful and the momentum could feel like flying.

    One note: When visiting outside the home, be sure the floor on which you are about to plant your crutch has not recently been waxed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. "Remindful" -- what a great word!!

    ReplyDelete