Monday, July 20, 2009

Mucus

I've been trying to write this entry for days now. And it's hard because it's icky and frustrating, but the blog would be incomplete without it. Please note that I'm simply documenting what's going on with my body. When I want to whine and complain, I will try to be obvious that that's what I'm doing.

There's something about the radiation therapy that causes my body to produce a heavy, viscous fluid -- mainly mucus, I'm told, but mixed with some saliva. It coats the inside of my mouth, adhering to the roof of my mouth, then coating the rest of my mouth's inner surfaces. Usually, the consistency is not unlike fresh rubber cement, but occasionally it froths up, filling my mouth with glop.

My medical team says it's a fairly common side effect of the treatment. And they've given us a recipe for a weak solution of baking soda, salt and water to loosen and remove the gook -- which works wonderfully well, but the glop often starts to build up almost immediately after its removal. I've gone through gallons of this mixture over the last two or three weeks.

The final step in removal, of course, is a good firm spit into the sink. And this often triggers a stab of pain from the ulcer under my tongue. And given my Dick Cheney Smile [see previous posting of that name], I'm not always that accurate as to where the spit goes. Geez.

(Okay, that last bit probably qualifies as whining.)

I may go for an hour or two with little build-up of this mucus, but then spend the next 3 or 4 hours washing my mouth out every 5 or 10 minutes. I haven't figured out what causes this mucus flow to start and stop. And when I tell my medical team about all this, they just shrug.

I am blessed that the deposition seems to come to a near halt when I lie down to sleep. If it continued then, I simply don't know what I would do to get any sleep at all. (As it is, I'm waking up 3 or 4 times a night to visit the bathroom to pee. And we haven't figured out what's causing that either.)

And when I think about what others go through in their treatments -- the pain, the permanent loss of bodily functionality -- I understand how fortunate I am. This is a temporary condition which should halt completely in a couple of weeks.

There. I've posted this. And I feel ever so much better.

7 comments:

  1. In spite of your most delicate treatment of this subject, frankly that sounds annoying as all get out. My mouth is drying up in sympathy as I write. I was curious, however, if the part that might qulify as whining right after the misfired spit was you or Deb.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Randy,

    I'm glad you are giving us the whole picture. Sorry its yucky...complain or objectively comment how ever you like. Its YOUR blog and we are here to listen and support and love you and Deb.

    Love,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy,

    That sounds awful. I'm glad you are spared from this stuff during sleep, but still. Geez indeed! I vote for more whining.

    And speaking as a fellow writer: I gotta say, your description is so just-right that I nearly gagged while reading. I mean, YUCH -- and that is a high compliment.

    Thank you for these details -- for trusting us to be right there with you. Keep sharing.

    (And Ellen, thank you for making me laugh out loud first thing in the morning!)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Randy,

    I check your blog frequently with great anticipation. The quality of your writing and depth of your sharing is continually amazing. More than depth, you share what you are going through from multiple perspectives and on multiple levels. I am grateful to know it all. And for your trust -- Lisa mentioned your trust of us -- it is profound that you allow us into your thought processes and into the details of your experiences. There are so many who really do want to know, "How are you doing?" The telling of your story helps me to focus the light and love I direct to you and Deb as your healing progresses. And it enables me to feel close despite all the things that pull me in other directions. As all this attention is going to your throat, you seem to be truly finding your voice. Scientist, artist, friend, spirit -- all the many aspects of you are ringing through and true. Thank you.
    Gwenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Randy - Thanks for posting this specific and detailed entry. These yucky details of the
    results of the battle against the cancer should be known -- very few items on the Internet give them. Again, I speak from experience - I only recently was told by my gyn/oncologist that I have Radiation Fibrosis - transfer your present experience to other parts of the body and you get the general yucky idea! But to find any detailed info on this on the internet is virtually impossible. So... your blog may be very valuable to someone out there who is going through what you are going through - and you may never know it. So on behalf of them, I thank you!

    Love from Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randy -

    I was reading that salivary glands may need help during radiation. Maybe fully functioning salivary glands normally take care of the mucus. And that the following may help -

    Take in lots of fluids to help thin out the mucus (you can do this through the tube) – at least 6-8 cups a day of non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated liquids.
    Keep your mouth clean – rinse your mouth with water or a salt and baking soda solution which you're already doing : )
    Trying gargling with diet ginger ale.
    Sugarless gum and sugarless hard candy can help stimulate saliva.
    Sour and sweet flavors such as citrus (lemon and lime) and cranberry can be helpful.
    Using a humidifier at night can help loosen mucus.
    Some medications, such as Tussinex, can help.

    Scientist, artist, friend, spirit and brother Randy, hang in there! I'm looking forward to visiting with you, Deb and the woodpeckers again soon.

    love
    martha

    ps I saw a book Radiation and Chemotherapy for Dummies on Amazon.com. Might be worth a look?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Randy -

    My boss at work said that the mucus is a result of the chemotherapy - the body's defense system. Which means it should ease up after the chemo.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete