Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Me and My Blood Clot

It felt like a muscle strain in my right calf. And I've pulled and strained and banged around most parts of my anatomy over the last 60 years or so that I didn't give it much thought.

Okay, granted it lasted for several weeks -- which was certainly unusual, but with the nervous anxiety I've been dealing with, there was a sensible rationale for a long-term muscle strain. At least I thought so...

But Monday morning, I found that I couldn't put any weight at all on my right leg. So I hobbled to the back room to retrieve my crutches and negotiated my way down the stairs to breakfast. (You do have a pair of crutches in your back room, adjusted to your height and arm length, don't you? Geez, I've pulled mine out of storage, it seems like at least once a year for the last 10 or 12... But I digress.)

So Deb, the crutches and I made our way to my 9:00 AM radiation treatment. When Joan, one of the super-est Super Nurses I've ever known, came in to the waiting area to say "Hi," she took one look at the crutches and said "Those are yours?" I confessed. She said "Don't move. Dr. Ochsner [not my normal rad doc] will be here shortly." And she disappeared.

When Doc Och (please don't tell him I called him that!) showed up, he asked two or three questions and then said: "Get your radiology treatment now, and your next stop is Chester County Hospital. I'm writing up a 'stat' scrip for an ultrasound on your leg. That will get you past any waiting line-up in the Emergency Room. And I'll have them phone the results to me immediately. You should expect to be admitted then and there."

The ultrasound showed positive for a DVT (something like "Deep-Vein Thrombosis") or blood clot extending from halfway down my thigh to halfway down my calf. They started me on a drip-bag of blood thinner shortly afterwards (Heparin?), and it took an hour or so for a room to be ready for me. Not too shabby!

The drip-bag-thinner-therapy lasted until morning (and please remind me to tell you what a relatively pleasant experience this last overnight at the hospital proved to be!), when it was terminated in favor of a injection (Lovenox) and a pill (Coumadin). I'm now giving myself Lovenox injections twice a day(!) for the next week or so, and will be taking the Coumadin for the next 4 or 5 months. After that, things should be back to normal. Oh yes, and I'm wearing a compression stocking almost full time as well.

It seems that blood clots are a not uncommon side effect of chemotherapy, but no one had mentioned this to me and I hadn't come across this in any of the literature I'd read. The danger here is that part of the clot breaks loose, travels up the vein and then gets lodged in a lung, an eye or the brain.

I'm still totally dependent on my crutches to get around, but the nurses told me to expect that. Maybe 4 or 5 days...

Three useful metaphors:

-- "just another bump in the road"

-- "the roller coaster took another unexpected drop"

-- "just keep putting one foot in front of the other."

It's times like these when I think so fondly about all of you out there in cyberspace -- reading this, pulling for me, making suggestions, telling me stuff that helps so much to keep me balanced.

God bless you all.

8 comments:

  1. Randy, your last two entries – first the feeding tube (only a precaution, but still a dramatic bit of news) and now this actual medical event – both have been so well handled by everyone involved, especially you. And I thank God (and everyone, especially you) that you caught and addressed the clot in time!

    This is a rough journey already, and your courage and commitment to your own even keel are inspiring – it's a privilege to be invited along on the sidelines like this. And it is getting harder to feel that a mere blog comment full of mere words is anywhere near adequate support. I know that you know that we're all with you, reading every post and praying right along just like breathing, but please: Is there anything we can do to help with the actual work? A wish list would be a welcome blog entry – if you have any wishes that come to mind. If not, let's see....I can cook, I can drive, I can do research, I can read you the funny papers....

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Randy,

    WOW! A blood Clot and it was delt with so well. Glad your hospital stay was better this time:) You are really breathing into all of this and taking good care of yourself. I'm so grateful that your team made you go to the hospital! I just caught up on all of your blogs and it is such a blessing to know all that you want to share with us. Makes sense about the free radical stuff with chemo / radiation...miso soup etc. Good docs. I'm Holding you and Deb in Love, Light, Healing and Oh Yeah in...Fun and Laughter, Too. I love the new look, I do think you look younger as well and very handsom.

    Love and Light,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Randy,

    I like that your plug's name is "PEG" -- very friendly. I am extremely grateful that you allow us to accompany you "virtually" on your journey, and that you articulate so well all the sights, sounds and details along with your thoughts and feelings. Gratefulness also abounds for the good people working with you, and for your good, strong spirit.

    Lots of love to you and Deb,
    Gwenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. About Doc Och - we just had a guest from South Africa - Michael Pepper. Yes, Dr. Pepper.

    martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Randy,
    Having just finished up my chemo and awaiting for my hair to reappear,(it's this ___ long) I was concerned w/ your DVP, but I'm glad it was overcome. I know I had to inject myself the day after every chemo with Heparin, and every day for a month after my surgery! So thank God you prevailed and my empathic thoughts are with you!
    And Happy Birthday to Deb.
    Paleopatti (aka Patti Kane-Vanni)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Randy..up here in Maine for the summer and have spent the last hour or so "catching up" My thy life has been busy. I am impressed with how you write and detail everything. I send my best to thee and Deb and oh yes, Blanche and Peg!Please keep well-you have a lot of fans out here...Peace,Laurie Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Randy, God bESS yOU!! MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.imyself have one more chemo eft then still have to do radation for another 10 days the im off fo radation iplants wish me lux hopefully it wil all be gone. thanks for sharing though
    Allison

    ReplyDelete