Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Poem -- courtesy of my sister

Martha sent me this:

Serenity
(after a session of chemotherapy)

Beyond the window there
three trees -- two maples and a fir,
a patch of grass, a honeysuckle
bush not yet in bloom.

They are doing their great work:
anchoring the earth and breathing in
and out to give a great gift to the air.

In here I share the silence that is theirs.
I light a pure white candle
and let it, too, proceed
to do its work: to shine in silence,
gather peace for me
in its soft radiance
from all four corners of the room.

I make a cup of tea and break
a wondrous scone
a friend has made.

In silence, too, I have my work
to do. Breate in, breathe
out, ask blessings on my body's earth,
and ask for grace to give my own give
back to the holy air.


-- Sr. Eileen Lomansney, CSJ Ballston Lake, NY

1 comment:

  1. Hi Randy,

    Thanks to you and Martha for the sweet reminder of the importance of our breath...breathing..."with the breath"...which is my email address..."Conspire"...or Con Spiritus..."with The Spirit"...Holy air...

    And the reminder of simple pleasures that mean so much.

    Love and Light,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete