Thursday, May 14, 2009

Staples in my (Skinny) Neck

Some of you may be puzzled, appalled or just plain grossed out at the idea of 25 metal staples holding together a suture on your neck. Or anywhere else for that matter. "Why," you may find yourself asking, "don't you just stitch things back together with good old-fashioned black thread? Why the shiny hardware?" (And by the way, photos of my shiny hardware are available. Did I already mention that?)

And yes, I've been asking myself the same question for about a week or so. And now that they're safely (and painlessly!) removed, the answer -- or at least an answer -- occurred to me. In the shower. Gently bathing the place where the staples used to be. (I haven't had a chance to talk this topic over with Dr. Chuma, who put them in in the first place. We've got other topics of greater urgency. But I like my answer!)

So, here's a chance to put on your virtual surgical gown and gloves and ask youself "Why would I staple this area rather than stitch it?"

Tell you what, I'll give you ummm.... 2 minutes if you want to consider the question, then I'll tell you what I think. Okay? Ready? Go!

......

Bink!! Time's up! Come up with anything?

Did you figure out that installing a stitch puts thread above the incision -- but also directly underneath the incision? And that when the stitch thread is removed a week or so later, that the removal opens up a "mini-tunnel" directly across the incision site? The site that most needs healing? And is most vulnerable to infection?

But that a staple does not penetrate underneath the incision, so that the entire wound area can start to heal completely and immediately right after the surgery is done? And that there is no new exposure of sub-dermal tissue at the wound site when the staples are removed?

Didja? Well, that was my answer!

(If you've got a better one, please leave a comment to that effect. Let's get this figured out!!)

1 comment:

  1. Hope things are progressing on a positive track. Where is our Friday commment? Also I believe one primary staple advantage is speed- thus reducing time spent under nasty anesthesia and less time potentially bleeding as well as less time open to dirty germy air.
    Sincerely- Ellen- (easier than figuring how to sign in.)

    ReplyDelete