Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Medical Update -- 5/27/09

(Gentle reader, the following information is the best understanding I can get about what's going on with me. Your comments are encouraged.)

My healing from surgery is just about done, so it's time to make a decision about what happens next. I got the news yesterday afternoon that the Pathologist at Johns Hopkins confirmed the analysis by the Chester County Hospital Pathologist that the cancer was a metastatic cancer (that means that it can travel from one place to another) in my parotid salivary gland. And I am informed that this is an aggressive form of cancer. This information helped me reach the conclusion mentioned at the end of this write-up.

As mentioned in the 5/23 posting, there is some disagreement about the best way to proceed among the doctors I'm working with, a discrepancy because of two different facets to the cancer:

On one hand, there may be some residual primary tumor in the salivary gland, and some doctors I've talked with say that you should surgically remove the entire parotid as a first step. This would, however, delay chemotherapy and radiology until the new surgery heals up. (Because radiology can undo the healing process and cause considerable difficulties in the process.) One radiologist tells me that the healing would take from 4 to 6 weeks. Another tells me that 2 to 3 weeks would be sufficient. In either case, cancer cells will continue to spread around my body -- settling almost anywhere -- and begin to grow. Something like 7 of the 30-odd lymph nodes that were removed recently had cancer cells in them, so clearly there is spreading going on even as you read this.

The other approach is to start chemotherapy as soon as possible in an effort to eliminate the cancer cells that have traveled away from the primary site. And to start radiology as soon as possible to deal with any residual primary tumor that may remain in the parotid.

An unidentifiable mass -- roughly 1/4 inch -- showed up on the MRI, which may be tumor or may be an inflamed lymph node. There's no way to tell. I am informed that the radiology should be able to "take care" (my term) of this mass if it is tumor, but I must admit I'm not sure whether "taking care" of this means just stopping it from spreading or actually making it shrink and possibly disappear.

After a month of treatment in this second approach, I would undergo a second MRI to see if the mass is smaller, unchanged, or larger.

So Step 1, you remove the parotid gland to provide some assurance in the local area or you go after the stuff that's spreading all around and then concentrate on whatever may be left in the parotid gland.

And I've chosen this second option. To start radiology and chemo as quickly as possible. The initial bump on my neck was discovered in late January and, to date, nothing has been done to address the potential spread of the disease.

It took a long while for me to understand that there are no right and wrong answers to this dilemma as to how to proceed. Both approaches might yield complete success. Or neither approach might do so. The cancer is unusual enough that no one can give an answer with any assurance.

So the right answer is the one that feels best to me, and that's what I've chosen to do.

I am deeply grateful for your continued prayers and best wishes.

10 comments:

  1. We're with you, Randy. You'll be fine and we'll see you on the other end. Keep the faith.

    Take care,

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to all the medical knowledge and all the reasoning that went into this decision, it is the right one because you didn't have to make it totally on your own. The force that has guided you in all the other parts of your life is guiding you now. It cannot be wrong.

    Love,
    E & Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Randy, You are in my thoughts and prayers, of course. As I was reading, I was hoping that you were considering going for (chemo / radiation) treatment right away and then I realized that it didn't matter what I thought. You have all you need to make good and healthful decisions, as you always do. And, you have lots of Spiritual help and healing from all of those who love you. You are wise. There is no right or wrong, just what feels best to you. I love you and I am with you and Deb. I understand that chemo can be tolerated well and adjusted as needed for minimal side effests and maximum treatment. I am imagining you in your healing Auric Bubble as I write this. There is so much healing, loving light around you...your own, from the School and from sorces we've yet to discover! Love, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy - You are in my heart, and I carry you with me. I'm rooting for you over here, from the opposite end of PA. May you receive and thrive in the same level of care and compassion that you lovingly gave to Bradley. Donna P.
    p.s. How is Bradley?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Randy
    You are in my prayers - the other side of the world is not so far. Stay strong and positive, you will get through this. And just remember I need you to protect me from the rattlesnakes!!

    Lots and lots of love
    Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echoing Donna P...Yeah, How is Bradley...and Blanche? Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear, Dear Randy....I have some understanding of the angst of weighing different opinions and hearing conflicting interpretations. It has driven me into contraction,fear and inaction. Hearing (reading) your words and the calm, reasoned approach you have chosen has been of immense help to me.
    Let's promise each other to stay open to the healing light that is being sent to us from sources both known and unknown. I love you. Nancy B

    ReplyDelete
  8. just call me CoachMay 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM

    Randy,
    The journey, although not selected, has begun. Cancer is an ugly disease, and I may use words that are not in your Quaker vocabulary.
    It is time to fight. Fight for you, for Deb, and for all those people whom love and support you.
    Keep moving, juggling, meditating. Keep being Randy!
    I say all of this with peace and love.
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most definitely a good decision. And I couldn't say it better than the commenter above. Keep being Randy! That's the best medicine of all.

    Love, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I type with a tear in my eye and a heart so full of love that it's bursting from my chest. All this love, and the healing love of the world, flows to you.
    Namaste, dear Randy, Namaste.

    ReplyDelete