Thursday, August 27, 2009

Reclaiming my Life -- Bit by Bit

Or should that be "Bite by Bite"?

I had scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning.

......

Ahem.

I said I had scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning!

Okay, A Brief Description of What This Means In Case You Missed Something Along the Way:

For the first time in two months, I had a complete serving of solid food that I ingested with my mouth and tongue and teeth and stuff. And I ate all of it.

It wasn't yummy-wonderful, but it didn't have the metallic taste I'd been warned about. My tongue, while still not completely recovered from the radiation, had no problems in positioning the eggs to the proper places within my mouth. (And I didn't bite my tongue, thank goodness!)

I decided not to push things by trying toast, as generating saliva is still an issue -- and may be for the rest of my life. (The radiation treatment necessarily and permanently deactivated the parotid saliva gland in my left cheek. But the doc tells me that the right parotid may figure this out and produce even more saliva than it normally would. How do you set up a cheer for a saliva gland?)

We followed up this repast shortly afterwards with a can of Jevity, as one of our goals is to regain 5 or 10 of the pounds I'd lost recently.

And afterwards, I went out to to the garage to do some work I'd been meaning to do for weeks and weeks.

And somehow, I feel, y'know... just bigger. With more Randy expressing itself. I like it.

All this from one dish of scrambled eggs...

4 comments:

  1. What a week you are having. Let's think back here...
    Monday - dread
    Tuesday - relief
    Wednesday - Beethoven, new teacher, bonding with Mom via piano keys
    Thursday - eggs and garage work

    Congratulations on a fine week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Lisa's sentiments...and am excited to see what you will do today!

    Can you smell the mo sho (sp?) pork yet?

    Yay!!!
    Donna P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine week indeed! After all you've been through, you are such an inspiration. Thanks for being such a great brother.

    xo
    martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yahoo!

    I'd love to cook or bake something for you so as soon as you are ready, tell me what you are hankering for and I'll whip it up and deliver it.

    Love - Jan and Art

    ReplyDelete