Sunday, November 8, 2009

Autumn Leaves

For as long as I can remember, I've hated fall.

Now "hate" is a word I don't use often, but I think applies here.

I grew up on an estuary of the Chesapeake Bay, and summer meant a seemingly endless number of ways to enjoy the water. And fall meant an end to all that. And it meant being cold in the mornings when we woke up (the heating system in our house was none too effective...). And it promised shorter and shorter days and less time outside playing.

And then there was school, which I don't recall enjoying much at all.

As I got older, fall was the harbinger of snow, ice and all the inconveniences they caused. And even colder mornings. And even higher energy bills.

And the leaves turning color only seemed to be mocking me -- reminding me of the months of cold, dark weather ahead and the subtly increasing levels of cabin fever within me and my four siblings. In a house that seemed to get smaller with each passing day.

As the years went by and I moved away from Baltimore, the discomforts of colder weather were less of an issue, but I held onto my distaste for autumn. As in, "Oh hell, here comes winter. Again." This was an automatic response, and I never had a compelling reason to change it or even examine it. It was just "Oh hell" again and again.

People around me have, it seems, always appreciated the leaves turning color, and have expressed their joy at seeing such a marvel. And I have, it seems, always felt that these people were delusional as they tried to avoid the True Message of Fall. As Joni Mitchell once sang: "All that stays is dying, all that's living's getting out."

But this year has been notably different. For the first time in more decades than I care to think about, I have come to appreciate the fall foliage for what it is -- rather than treating it as a sign of things to come. The term that keeps reoccurring to me is "Symphony of Color" -- where each participant produces his/her/its share to the overall effect; blending and contrasting in turns. Now being soft and subtle, and now being brash and sassy.

And it occurred to me this year that the Symphony changes from day to day -- that each tree and bush and vine moves through an entire series of color changes so that the Symphony is never the same. Never.

Two months from now, the weather is likely to be cold and dark and dismal. But that is no reason and no excuse for me to be cold and dark and dismal. I see now that I have unconsciously made a choice for a long time to reject even the possibility of enjoying the fall and winter seasons. I see now that the trees and bushes and vines are not dying at all. They are simply adjusting.

I've discovered that the trees in our neighborhood (and likely, therefore, the trees around the world) put out their buds for next year's leaves in the fall. They are right there on the branches beside this year's leaves that are turning such beautiful colors.

And I ask myself "Why would they do that? Exposing next year's chance for survival to the awful weather ahead? Why not wait for the springtime to put the buds out?"

And I don't know why they do that. But I am taking this behavior as a sign to me personally: "Have faith and hold on tight. Summer is not really that far away."

And so it is.

6 comments:

  1. ...And Winter may even have joys all its own! Loving each and every post, Randy, and appreciating you all the more.

    Love,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy - So eloquent. I, like you, have always hated fall (and I don't use the word hate much either!) - for all the same reasons as you. I too thought those that love it are delusional. Thank you for your insight and maybe, just maybe, I'll decide not to hate fall too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy,

    This was redemptive to read. I can feel transformation inside your words. Thank you for sharing your honest work of transforming fear into hope and peace.

    Your ode to autumn was especially moving to me because, call me delusional, but I have always loved autumn best of all -- the symphony of deep reds and yellows, the crunch, the cider, the sweaters, the fire-building, the cozy gatherings, the stewed potatoes, the whole thing. I can't even stand the icy sidewalks or the drafty windows that need replacing and exorbitant oil bills that are just around the corner, but still I fall for autumn every time. Thank you for giving us that holy, courageous image of trees putting out their buds before winter. WOW -- it's not just the toasted marshmallows, it's the hope and quiet endurance of all that lives.

    Oh! - and thank you for quoting "Urge for Going"!!! Makes me want to get out the guitar -- "I'll ply the fire with kindling now, I'll pull the blankets up to my chin" -- yeah okay, it's a downright keening wail of a song, but her chords are sooo mystical and doesn't that last verse just make you want to open the L.L. Bean catalogue and order a new pair of mukluks?

    Here's to your ride through all the seasons. Life is big. Please keep on blogging whenever you are moved to.

    I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm speechless- hate fall??!! Probably hate rain also. What a waste of perfectly good days. Glad you are coming around though.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay -- so, any other fall lovers here? Can we see a show of hands?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love fall, best of all. if i had to live in a single season forever, it would be summer ... but in the 4 season flow of maryland's climate year, fall is, and always has been, my favorite time of year. spring is nice, too. winter? i'd miss it if it went away. fall is best. ramble, ramble ... any questions?

    john

    ReplyDelete