Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Truth About the Sweater and the Car...

Many of you know that I am terribly gullible.

And when so many people started responding to my posting about wearing Argyle sweaters and acquiring a vintage British sports car, I got anxious. Is anyone out there taking me seriously?

Please don't. Take me seriously, that is. Not on this one.

The ideas expressed in the previous posting took me back to my days at Drexel in West Philadelphia -- which is located next to the University of Pennsylvania.

Penn students, in fact, did wear sweaters (although maybe not Argyle -- don't recall...) and did drive vintage sports cars. And did wear penny loafers without socks.

Drexel students wore sweatshirts and drove Plymouth Dusters. And most of us wore shoes.

So the posting was a minor lament for the loss of a mustache and recalling my youth -- when shaving was a weekly event. And none of our crowd looked old enough to buy a six-pack of beer. And I would watch the Penn guys in their sports cars. And wonder why they didn't wear socks.

Wouldn't trade the memories for a zillion bucks. Wouldn't want to go back to those times for ten zillion bucks.

But if you do know where I could find an Austin-Healey Sprite -- or even a 3000 -- please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow Drexel Dragon...I wouldn't trade my practical sweatshirt and worn tennis shoes for all the argyle sweaters and penny loafers in the world. No offense to any U of P-ers out there....just love my alma mater. It helped shape me and I like who I am.

    ReplyDelete