Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hair -- Part 5

There's a number of things I want to post about -- but let's get right to the trivial first!

Facial hair. I gave up. Had no real choice.

You may recall that my beard had to go when the radiation therapy fried most of the follicles on the left side of my face. (My doc told me this would happen, so I had my barber give me a pre-emptive cut to take the facial hair down to a mustache and goatee before my face started to shed.) That was some time ago.

Then the goatee had to go, since the later rounds of radiation caused the hair on my chin to fall out. Just plopped into my lap five or six hairs at a time. Okay, bye!

I had hoped that the mustache could be salvaged, but it insisted on growing in blotchy -- much heavier on one side than the other and several patches of no growth at all. So the mustache came off completely last night. It may be back later and I will be attentive to its progress, but as of right now, I'm presenting a naked face to the world.

(The irony here is that, for the last several years, I'd been thinking about shaving the beard off anyway. But I didn't do it because I really didn't want to start shaving again after a ten-year hiatus. Well, modern medical science solved that problem for me!)

Anyway, my boyish grin is still intact, and I intend to use it as often as possible. And to compement my new "clean" look, I plan to start wearing Argyle sweaters this fall along with chino pants with pleated fronts. And penny loafer shoes. Without socks.

And drive a vintage British sports car.

But the pipe will be made of licorice...

(Anybody out there know where I can put my hands on a Mark 1 Austin Healy Sprite?)

8 comments:

  1. I dont know how to break this to you ,but having seen you twice in the last few weeks, I must admit that I did not even notice your lack of facial hair- you simply looked like you- whaduhya know about that
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your relentless good humor is a continual source of refreshment and pleasure. And, your innate good looks prevail with or without facial hair :)
    Gwenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argyle sweater and pipe in a Sprite? I don't know. I think it's a 3000 for Your Preppiness.

    Looking at the slide show, I didn't notice the shave either. But enjoy shaving.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missed the posts. Glad you're back...Can't wait to see your new look!

    Love,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see you driving that new car in your argyl sweater and sockless attire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you settle for a Matchbox car?

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was that what Richard had?

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to seeing you out for a walk in the neighborhood styling with your new look! I'll be watching for that new Austin Healy parked out front. Denise D.

    ReplyDelete