Sunday, November 14, 2010

Another Green Light

Last Monday, Deb and I visited my Ear/Nose/Throat doc for a routine visit. And "routine" is a good word for the occasion:

As usual, he did a very thorough physical examination of my neck, cheek, tongue and throat. Probing and prodding everywhere. And as has always been the case for these visits, he couldn't find any new bumps anywhere.

This is getting to be so routine that he almost forgot to probe the inside of my cheek. Which is quite close to where the initial tumor had been located. He chastised himself lightly: "I looked all over the outside of the cheek but almost didn't look at all on the inside." Or words to that effect.

He wanted to know if I felt tired a lot recently and I told him no, but that my stamina wasn't anywhere near where it had been before the treatments started. He suggested that my thyroid gland might be acting up -- which wouldn't be that unusual for someone who had received the treatments that I had. He said that the hyper-coag work-up that's currently being analyzed (the results of which should be available in a couple of weeks) might include testing for thyroid conditions -- and if it didn't, he would order such testing.

And that thyroid business, coupled with some discussion of my blood clotting issues, was/were the main topic(s) for the visit. The possibility of cancer recurrence was almost an afterthought.

So that's pretty good news, eh? I certainly thought so.

Although something inside of me keeps droning on and on about how the cancer could re-occur at any moment. And just like that the blood clotting and possible thyroid issues pale in significance. But then, I remember that -- as previously posted -- life is pretty darn good right now, and that's all I need to know. And that tomorrow is not guaranteed. For any of us.

Which brings me back to a upwelling feeling of gratitude. For my health. For my spouse. For my excellent medical team. For the chance to "talk" to all of you.

And that's pretty good news too.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Randy! More good news! Keep up with the positive thinking.

    Hi Deb!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete