Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Clean

Deb and I just got back from a visit to my E/N/T doc. After discussing the outstanding issues we came to discuss with him, he left the examination room to see if he could locate the results report from Monday's PET/CT scan on the internet.

He found it.

He came back into the room, waving a copy of the report.

He said, "You're okay."

Now, this "okay" business could mean several things -- especially when so much was riding on one particular "okay" and you're talking to a pair of word freaks like Deb and me. And I guess he saw in my face and Deb's face that the message wasn't perfectly clear. So he followed "You're okay" up with "You're clean." Which, in this context, really could have only one meaning. No chance to misinterpret.

There's no sign of cancer. Not locally, where the cancer started (he felt around my neck and inside my cheek shortly after we sat down). Not distantly, to where the cancer might have spread.

The report says I'm clean.

The doc then asked me if I wanted a copy of the report. Since he's Canadian, it's difficult sometimes to determine if he's kidding or serious. Yes, I want a copy of the report -- thank you very much, Doctor!! Whew.

So there's some medical gobbledygook on the report that I'll Google some time soon, but none of it sounds in the least bit serious or disturbing.

I've been trying hard for several weeks to be as neutral about this scan and the results report as I could: to take the good news or bad news as simply being news. A Buddhist kind of thing. But sitting here at the computer right now, I can still feel the anxiety draining away. I guess you need to practice that Buddhist thing...

One of the pleasant facets of this "clean" report is that I can have my PEG food tube removed. (We had left it in place just in case it might be needed again -- if the results report were not so favorable.) While it has been really only a minor annoyance (it adds 10 minutes to the process of taking a shower and needs to be flushed at least once a day), it has been a constant reminder that I am not perfectly healthy and might become dependent on the tube again. This is no longer a near-term issue and the tube will disappear in a few days.

My E/N/T doc stated clearly at the start of this process that I will likely be scanned every three months or so -- probably for the rest of my life -- checking for a reocurrence. But there are several possible breakthroughs in cancer treatment -- some for cancers like mine and some for cancers in general -- that may drastically change the landscape of cancer treatment for the better. So if my cancer should reappear later, these breakthroughs will have had more time to be tested, proven and brought into general use.

And I find that my time horizon has been extended dramatically. Yes, I know that tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone, but I have found that I had not been thinking of planning (much less actually planning!) anything more than six months or so into the future. But now, dinosaur hunting next summer feels like a real possibility again. As is a vacation for Deb and me. And kayaking next spring. And doing yardwork again.

And being deeply grateful for every day, for every breath.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you, God, for prayers answered. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Randy, I am so happy that I have tears in my eyes! Clean is now my favorite word!
    Love, love, love!
    Donna P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halleluiah!

    Your attitude has been superb, and completely honest. I think that Buddha thing is an ongoing, day-to-day process of finding and re-finding your center. You are there, you have been there, and today's outcome makes perfect sense.

    And, it is worth a glorious celebration....

    Woo-hoo! Hot-diggity! Whoopee! Hooray!

    Gwenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I check this thing three times a day. I was sure that this would work out. Congratulations!!!
    z & e

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a word
    ....supercalifragilisticexpialidocious....!!!!!!!Or....YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randy,

    I will save your phone message forever. Hug Deb five times for me. Put Blanche on the cover of the book. Take us with you to the dinosaur park.

    Randy, you did it. You knocked out a cancer known to be one of the baddest of the bad guys. West Chester has to have fireworks as soon as possible. October 14 is now Randy Is Sticking Around Day.

    You're alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    The tears just keep coming back.

    Love, joy, coffee, autumn, look both ways before crossing, l'chaim,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. so. getting back now to other, mundaner, stuff ...

    seen any good crop circles lately?

    :)

    WTG

    john

    ReplyDelete
  8. Randy,

    Yippy! I'm thrilled! I love that there is technology that can show "clean"! You and Deb continue to be in my prayers, now for Gratitude and Thanksgiving! I can't wait to see you face to face and give you a great big hug and to celebrate. Oh, and that Buddhist thing, yep, its a "Practice", not a "Perfect". You rock! I love you. Love to Deb.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Randy -

    this extraordinary news just takes my breath away. to have witnessed this struggle so closely with such...words fail me..now I'm beginning to cry. I guess thank God sums it up.

    See you Saturday.
    love
    martha

    ReplyDelete
  10. That nothing I can say that hasn't already been said by family and your wonderful friends. I'm so relieved to hear this news.
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a sudden load off my mind.
    Congratulations, Randy.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such wonderful news!!!! Thanks be to God!!!

    Love, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Randy,
    This is such wonderful news for you, Deb, all of us who love you, even those who don't even know you yet. You are obviously still needed here, to learn, to teach, to touch our hearts. Thank God, the universe, or whatever we decide to call it, that you will continue to touch so many lives. I am personally very grateful and humbled by your great news and as well as your extraordinary journey. Rock on, man. I am sending you my hug of appreciation, gratitude, and love.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete